Programme Manager: Mª Jesús Vicent
The objective of the Advanced Therapies Programme is the development of new diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for high-impact public health problems through the application of both pharmacology (Including HTS approaches and Nanomedicine), cellular therapies, and their combination. Such problems include neoplastic processes, spinal cord injury, musculoskeletal injury, neurodegenerative diseases, inflammatory processes, and cardiomyopathies. Current projects cover from basic research (i.e. target identification and validation) to more translational approaches with a direct collaboration with many industrial companies and hospitals (including our associated units with IISLaFe (Dr Montero-Dr. Sepúlveda) and FIVO (Dr López-Guerrero)). It is important to note the generation of two spin off companies in the last 4 years (Factor Stem SL (Dr. Moreno, http://factorstem.es) and Polypeptide Therapeutic Solutions SL (Dr. Vicent, http://www.pts-polymers.com)).
The Advanced Therapies Programme is the current coordinator of the Drug Discovery Strategy within the Valencian Community, one of the 4 national screening centers and one of the 50 specialized screening facilities at the European level as recognized in EU-Openscreen initiative (http://www.eu-openscreen.eu). The programme is currently structured in 4 research groups and 3 associated units, and coordinates the screening platform (Dr Vicent) and the Valencian Stem Cell Bank (Dr. Erceg).
We hope to fill the existing gap between basic research into therapeutic mechanisms and their clinical application by working together to encourage the development of innovative and precision therapeutics, always keeping in mind that our final goal is to arrive to the patient.
The current research lines can be summarized as follows:
- The identification of biomarkers with clinical value and the development of personalized medicine (nanopharmaceuticals) for the treatment of advanced tumors.
- The adaption of personalized therapy and the co-development of drugs in clinical trials.
- Deeper understanding of the chemical modulation of protein-protein interactions: processes of survival, cell death, and inflammatory processes.
- Design and synthesis of new compounds with potential biological activity, and the development of synthetic methodologies oriented towards their preparation in an effective and selective manner.
- The development of new advanced combination therapies with applications in regenerative medicine.
- The study of the reprogramming and differentiation of endogenous or induced stem cells to improve tissue regeneration.
- The development of new human cellular models based on induced pluripotent stem cells to investigate disease mechanisms and to search for new therapeutic targets.