Health and Biosafety Officer T3.01/2021
To coordinate and support the Center on Health and Safety and Biosecurity issues. Overall function is to promote a safe workplace and to manage biosafety risks in laboratories. To establish, manage and monitor standards, processes, and training associated with worker health, general safety, and laboratory safety.
- Ensure that all Health & Safety and Biosafety policies and and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated. Ensure the Center meets its legal obligations in all areas pertaining to health and safety.
- Develop and perform lab safety courses for research personnel.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health and safety legislation and communicate relevant changes to the management of the Center.
- Coordinate biosafety monitoring, compliance, and response activities of all research facilities.
- Promote prevention by keeping up with equipment maintenance and employee training
- Inspects research facilities for compliance with regulations and guidelines pertaining to the use, handling, and disposal of potential biohazards and recombinant DNA.
- Develops and implements emergency response procedures for incidents involving biohazardous agents and materials.
- Coordinate disposal of biological waste.
- Serves as principal source of expertise regarding appropriate equipment, facilities, and work practices for protecting laboratories, staff, and the environment from contamination and infectious organizms.
- Liason between management and Biosecurity committee and Health and Safety Committee.
- Coordinate with external PRL Company to ensure the completion and regular review of risk assessments for all equipment and operations. Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented. Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported, safety inspections, risk assessments and employees are aware of their responsibilities.